Khandker Abdul Muttalib
Birthdate: 1 December 1952
Current Position: Professor of Physics, University of Florida
- B. Sc.(Hons) in physics, Dhaka University (1975). (First Class)
- M. Sc. in physics, Dhaka University (1976). (First Class)
- Ph.D. in physics, Princeton University 1982 (Thesis advisor: P. W. Anderson).
- Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- Research Fellow, James Frank Institute, University of Chicago (1982-84).
- Assistant Physicist, Brookhaven National Laboratory (1984-86).
- Lecturer and Associate Research Scientist, Applied Physics, Yale University (1986-87)
- Ph.D. Students and Postdocs:
- Carsten Blecken, Ph.D. 1997.
- Victor Gopar, Postdoc 1999-2001.
- Andrew Douglas, Ph.D. 2009.
- Jinmyung Choi, Ph.D. 2010.
- Tomoyuki Nakayama, Ph.D. 2011.
- Bradley Nartowt, Ph.D. 2017.
- Assistant Professor, Physics Department, U. Florida, 1987-92.
- Associate Professor, Physics Department, U. Florida, 1992-2000.
- Professor, Physics Department, U. Florida, 2000 -- present.
Awards and Honors:
- S. N. Bose research fellowship, Dhaka University, 1976-77.
- Joseph Henry Prize fellowship, Princeton University, 1977-78.
- Outstanding Achievement and Performance Award, Physics Department, University of Florida, 1990.
- Anderson Scholars Honoree, University of Florida, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004.
- Teaching Improvement Program Award, University of Florida, 1998.
- Physics Teacher of the Year, University of Florida, 2001.
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Teacher of the Year, University of Florida, 2005.
- Fellow, American Physical Society (Elected 2005).
- SERC Visiting Fellow at Imperial College, London, summer 1993.
- Visiting Scientist at Nanotechnology Institute, Forschungzentrum Karlsruhe, Germany, summer 99.
- Visiting Professor at U. Karlsruhe, Germany, summers 97, 98, 2000-2009.
- Visiting Scientist at CEA-Saclay, France, Fall 2010.
- Visiting Professor at KIT, Germany, summer 2011-2013.
- Sabbatical at Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, Sept-Nov 2017.
- Sabbatical at National University of Singapore, Dept of Mathematics, Nov-Dec 2017.
Recent Invited Talks:
- ``New class of random matrix ensembles",
Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society, Los Angeles, March 1998.
- ``One-sided log-normal distribution of conductances in quantum wires",
U. Augsburg, Germany, May 1999.
- ``Distribution of conductances in disordered quantum wires",
Max-Planck Institute, Heidelberg, Germany, July 1999.
- ``q-polynomials, random matrices and the physics of multifractality",
International conference on symbolic computation, number theory, special
functions and combinatorics, University of Florida, November 1999.
- ``Emergence of anomalous distributions in condensed matter
systems,",15th Florida workshop in nonlinear astronomy and
physics: the onset of nonlinearity, February 2000.
- ``DMPK and novel distribution of conductances in a quantum wire'',
workshop on mesoscopic physics in honor of the 60th birthday of P. Mello,
UNAM, Mexico, August 2000.
- ``Conductance distribution in disordered conductors: can we go beyond quasi 1D?'',
Symposium on `Strong Correlations and Disorder: Modern Aspects of Condensed Matter Theory'
in honor of the 60th birthday of P. W\"olfle, Karlsruhe, Germany, April 25-26, 2002.
- ``Absence of log-normal conductance distribution in 3D Anderson insulators'',
U. Augsburgh, Germany, July 2004.
- ``A new family of solvable random matrix ensembles'',
U. Karlsruhe, Germany, July 2005.
- ``Distribution of transport properties in disordered mesoscopic systems'',
Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia, June 2006.
- ``Surprises in conductance distribution in strongly disordered mesoscopic systems'',
Rutgers University, September 2006.
- ``Anomalous Hall effect in ferromagnetic films'',
University of Cologne, Germany, May 2007.
- ``Transport in thin ferromagnetic films'',
University of Zaragoza, Spain, June 2008.
- ``Random systems: When the average is not good enough and the `tail' can become the `head''', Bose Colloquium 2009, S.N. Bose Research Center, Kolkata, India, July 2009.
- ``Conductance distribution in Anderson insulators'', IISER Haringhata, India, July 2009.
- ``Asymmetric metal-insulator transition in ferromagnetic films'', International Workshop on Localization Phenomena in Novel Phases of Condensed Matter, Abdus Salam ICTP, Trieste, Italy, May 2010.
- ``In search of a solvable `Levy-like' random matrix ensemble'', LPTMS, U. Paris Sud, Orsay, France, Oct 2010.
- ``Novel asymmetric metal-insulator transition in disordered
ferromagnetic thin films'', LPS, U. Paris Sud, Orsay, France, Nov 2010.
- ``Full conductance distribution in three dimensions: novel features at strong disorder'', SPEC CEA-Saclay, France, Nov 2010.
- ``Density of transmission levels near the Anderson transition'',WavePro International symposium in honor of C. Soukoulis, Crete, Greece, June 2011.
- ``Towards the distribution of conductances in 3D: distribution of transmission levels revisited.'',KIT, Germany, June 2012.
- ``Non-linear thermoelectric transport: A class of nano-devices for high efficiency and large power output.'',KIT, Germany, July 2013.
- ``Transport in thin disordered magnetic films.'', 9th International workshop on disordered systems, San Antonio, Texas, Aug 2014.
- ``Proposal for an industrially competitive thermoelectric device'', Colloq. at Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, Sept 2017.
- ``Universality in random matrix theory: From energy levels of nuclei to Anderson transition in solids'', Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, Oct 2017.
- ``Geometrical frustration in Ising magnets: How to quantify'', Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, Nov 2017.
- ``Random matrix ensembles and quantum transport'', Dept. of Mathematics, National University of Singapore, Dec 2017.
- ``Nonlinear thermoelectricity: Future of clean energy?'' Colloquium at CUNY, New York, Feb 2018.