This course is devoted to the classic computer or numerical methods useful in physics. Watcom IDEs (file.wpj, file.tgt) will normally be used to display codes. Fortran or C will be acquired along with the course if you do not already know one of these. The course consists of a series of documents with links to C and Fortran code. The documents attempt to explain specific numerical methods, while the codes provide templates for putting these into practice. Security has become an issue leading to mostly pdf files on this website. Details are in LinksAndRedudantCopies.pdf.
A Rosetta stone relating the topics covered in class to the appropriate sections in Press is BobPress.htm , or in compressed notation prefs.htm. A more general set of references is in References.htm. LinksAndRedudantCopies.htm contains a few words about viewing the documents.
d. interpolation\Quadratic A local extension to linear interpolation.
3. definitions/Welcome.docx Brief hints at the physics and mathematics underlying computer methods
b. definitions/gofr/Welcome.htm two body correlation functions
c. definitions\PeriodBC\Welcome.htm periodic boundary conditions.
6. solving\Welcome.htm finding f(x) = 0 involves finding x.
7. MatrixInverse\Welcome.htm Find xi such that εjajixj = 0 for specified N΄N values of aij
8. optimization\Welcome.htm finding f(x) less than all others. involves finding f and x. RobMin
9. MultiplePrecision\Welcome.htm Curve fitting requires lots of digits.
10. fittery\Welcome.htm Curve fitting
11. Fourier\Welcome.htm Fourier methods (fast)
14. Progdet/Welcome.pdf Programming details plotting, formats, sorting, passing arrays, and so on.
c. Progdet\SysRoutines\Welcome.htm short codes that allow most Fortran compilers to be used for the same code. Topics include system calls, overflow avoidance, opening files and others.
d. Progdet\sorting\Welcome.htm Logarithmic sorts and a direct access sort which allows the data to always remain in disk files.
e. Progdet\ArrayPass\ArrayPass.htm Details the use of the fact that A(7) is a pointer to the seventh array element.